Thursday 4 October 2012

Violaceous Latex Alternative Competition


A few weeks ago, my sister-in-law sent me a poster advertising a competition to design a Halloween costume for Violaceous Latex with the only rule that it has to be made in latex!!!

I love a bit of Alternative fashion and especially Halloween; so it’s a win win!


So I took a bit of time, trying to think of an unusual latex-y costume. After thinking about characters such as Bloody Mary, Bride of Frankenstein, The Corpse Bride… I decided I wanted to use white for a change being that everybody usually thinks of black, especially for Halloween. I couldn’t decide whether I liked the sound of a Mummy or a dead bride more-so I came up with my own interpretation of a Mummy Bride!


Made from white or grey latex, the costume is cut to wrap around the body and fastening with a side zip. It has one sleeve which is also wrap around and finishes with a flared bottom as does the bottom of the skirt-which I planned as a full volume bottom. Then both the sleeve and the bottom of the skirt would be either painted or using red latex-dipped in blood all the way around, growing upwards.

I think it was a good exercise for me and I enjoyed trying to think of something different. I’ve also learned that when I’m sending an illustration to use either a thinker pencil or use a pen!

Hope it does well in the competition and hope everyone likes it!

No comments:

Post a Comment