Friday 19 October 2012

Unusual fabrics; Fabric shop-Cloth House.


So as the beginning of the new school year starts and as I’m sure everybody knows; this is my final year of my degree. So I wanted to start looking into fabrics and what material I’m going to be using coming up to my final collection.

So in my quest for material-I went to a fabric shop based in London named the Cloth house.
 

Well….. I think I have fallen in love! Only thing is I will be very very poor! The Cloth house has two separate shops on the same road and stocks the most amazing fabric I have ever seen!
The Cloth House- loving the colour!

I was interested in metal and plastic based fabrics which were situated towards the front of the shop and there was everything! My main fabric I was after was fabric with a Metal thread-quite a rare and expensive fabric. I was so chuffed to see they had some in a nylon fabric and in a woollen fabric both with metal threads in them! Both the metal fabric mixes are £28 per metre-which although is not cheap-I didn’t think was too bad.
Wool and metal fabric.
 
Nylon and metal fabric.

Other fabrics I found where Coated nylon (which has a thin latex feel about it) Nylon bonded to latex; which was quite dense and smooth, Neoprene; which is quite thick and does not fray, Rubber which I thought was amazing! They had rubber fabric in every colour possible! And a Reflective fabric which I was told had glass particles in it, giving it a reflective shine-this was the most expensive fabric that I purchased at the price of £65 per metre! But I think it is something special.
Coated Nylon
Nylon bonded to Latex
Rubber!
Reflective fabric with glass particles.
 
There is a downstairs section which housed all the other fabrics; the wools, furs and jerseys all in different colours and mixes. I found it a really useful shop which I’m sure if anybody with an interest in fabric visited, you would fell like a child in a candy shop as I did!
They have so many different fabrics and I would recommend them to anyone. So if you’re bored walking round London-head to Piccadilly!

CLOTH HOUSE
98 Berwick Street
Soho
London
W1F 0SJ

No comments:

Post a Comment