Monday 5 November 2012

Bride of Frankenstein handmade Halloween Costume.


This week was my favourite holiday-Halloween!! And I went to a family party with my fiancé, brother and sister in law- and it was great!

I was trying to come up with something different as a costume as I felt I had worn all other options out so I planned to go as The Bride of Frankenstein. I looked at You Tube to get some inspiration and watched parts of the film. As it is an old school film-made in 1936, I really liked the glamorous feel and even though it was meant to be scary it was quite elegant as well. Also as I don’t do scary very well-I thought it fitted quite well!
The Bride of Frankenstein in 1936 film.

Beautiful draped dress.
 
So after researching the film and looking into what she wore, I bought some sheeting from a fabric shop-which worked out cheaper as it was double width! And then using my Shingo Sato inspired technique-I made a base dress and cut triangular goudes into it; giving it flair around the front and sides. Then cutting the pieces out again on the bias created a fully flared dress which hung well and had good drapery.

The end result was a fitted squared top that then flared out from the bust at the front and back and also from the hip at the sides. A quick side zip was installed to make sure the top would fit and facing was ironed onto the shoulders to help keep the structure. I bought 3 metres of sheeting and used most of it as with the bias cutting took a lot of fabric up.
The top of the dress.
The full legth of dress.
 
I was happy with the result and that I had created something that I had envisaged originally. I know it may not look like much-a bit like a giant white tent-but I was pleased with the way it hung and I think it portrayed that there was skill behind the pattern of the dress.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment