Wednesday 14 November 2012

Shingo Sato live at the Colchester Institute-Box intergration.


Yesterday was such an amazing day!

The designer Shingo Sato has been visiting the UK and as well as visiting Central St Martin’s and London College of Fashion during his visit, he kindly popped in to the Colchester Institute!

Shingo Sato is a Japanese designer who is known for his Transformational Reconstruction technique which is a different method to cutting patterns flat from patterns and concentrates creating more in 3D. As he is possibly the only person that uses and teaches this technique; it was a fantastic opportunity!
 
Shingo Sato
 
When he arrived and gave a little speech and presentation about his work and explained what he does, showing samples of his work to the group. It was exiting listening to him and hearing him quizzing students about how to create these designs. We were then lucky enough to take part in a workshop with him where he decided to show how to make Box integration.

Box Integration technique.
 
 This included making a bodice block up to then work upon, creating a box design on the front that touched the apex’s of both front darts. The box is measured and then out of card and stuck onto the bodice with tape. Then drawing the style line across the bodice and box, create the new seams which once sewn will create the new design. After cutting all the pieces out and transferring them onto fabric all that’s left is to sew it all back up.
 
 
 
 
 
Finished bodices from the class.
 

As another class mate Sam Purnell and I had previously done this technique, Shingo gave us our own “1 on 2” lesson and taught us the box integration on the shoulder. This was really exiting although I did feel the pressure! This was a similar technique but moving the box onto the shoulder.
Shingo giving a personal lesson on box integration on the shoulder.
My bodice.
Photo taken by Shingo-concentrating!
All the pattern pieces cut out onto fabric.

I’m not sure if it was because I was feeling under pressure as he was there watching but I found the technique a little difficult. It was all ok and I felt really confident- then I got to the “sewing it all back together” part and miraculously lost two of my four points on my square! Gradually, it was sorted out and I managed to finish it feeling really proud of myself!
My finished bow integration.



From the top-showing the shoulder square.
 
It is made with a soft brown cord and a cotton fabric; which had a facing ironed onto it to help keep the form of the square upon the shoulder. I’m very happy with it as a first attempt and am quite inspired by this.
I’m now considering thinking what else I could use this technique for and to create my own way out designs!
Check out You Tube to find Shingo Sato videos on Transformational Reconstruction.

1 comment: