Friday 12 October 2012

Sonya Todd at The Minories Art Gallery in Colchester


Today I was lucky enough to go to an opening of a new exhibition showing at The Minories Art Gallery in Colchester by a fashion illustrator Sonya Todd.
 
Sonya Todds fashion illustrations.
 
Sonya was an suffolk based illustrator who had worked freelance for the TV Times and has had work showing for companies such as C&A and in The Avengers publishing’s with Joanna Lumley. Most of her artwork is from the early 1960’s into the 1970’s, drawing models and figurines that had been published in papers and magazines.
Sonya Todd

The exhibition opens tomorrow Saturday 13th of October until the 17th of November and is free to visit. Today fashion students-such as me, had the chance to visit first and meet Sonya to have a little tutorial with her and her illustrating skills. I had previously seen Sonya in a trip the institute did to visit her studio so it was nice to see her again and see her do some quick sketches in front of you.
Today; Sonya in The Minories Art Gallery.
 
 
 
I really enjoyed the afternoon, seeing Sonya and hearing how she draws. Her points were; to start with the head and then draw the line of the body to the floor and then position the shoulders. I found the point of her listening to music while drawing interesting as she explains it makes you move and gives you more freedom when sketching-especially reggae!  She also talked about that detail isn’t the most important thing but to achieve the moment of the clothes is and feet aren’t that important when drawing but hips are!
 
Quick sketches.
 
I found her quite an extrovert and a very interesting person. I do wonder what it must have been like being a fashion illustrator during the 60’s and how exciting of an era it must have been to be in the fashion industry.
 
 
 

All in all I found the tutorial with Sonya really motivating and after being interested in fashion illustration myself, it’s inspired me to draw more and try to take it up on a daily bases. I hope this will help to evolve my skills and hopefully come in handy with my portfolio at the end of this year. As soon as I draw some I’ll pop my drawings up on here to show everyone J

No comments:

Post a Comment