Thursday 30 August 2012

New Handmade Bag!


So I did make my Mum’s bag the day after and it took about 6 hours. The obvious thing was I didn’t upload it so straight away so this is what I have planned to do.

I took inspiration from a bag in Peacocks. While I was working, I started paying attention to the bags that we sell and how they were designed, what straps were used and also the sizes-which seemed to be wider more than deeper giving it a more couture look.  So using this as a loose template, I used the pattern that I originally used for my first strap bag on this one. I also knew I wanted it to be a better rendition to showcase that I am hopefully getting better at it so I decided to include a popper to close the top of the bag as well as an inner pocket as part of the lining.
Finished bag.
 

To start with I knew I wanted to create a big roomy bag made from two separate colours with a long shoulder strap. So I opted for my Mums favourite colour; Burgundy with a tan colour leather. As all my bags, it has a front zip and is fully lined in the main bag and the pocket. The original idea was one think shoulder strap attached by D rings, but after unsuccessfully finding any big enough, I decided to create two shoulder straps using the bag in Peacocks as a guide.
Inside; showing the lining and popper.
 
Mum sewn onto the base of the bag.
 

 

I was really chuffed with the straps-being they are the first double straps like this I have done and as a finishing touch “Mum” is sewn into the base of the bag.
 

This was my first bag with all these little details and think it has come out quite professional –I hope the more I do the better I will become at making them and the more professional they will become.

1 comment:

  1. I think that the simplicity of the colors and design of the bag is classy and would be easy to match any outfit. I'm sure your mom loved that you made her a handmade and personalized bag.

    Leonia Shearer

    ReplyDelete