Monday 13 August 2012

Olympic Closing Ceremony...and some Girl Power!


So the Olympic Games in London 2012 are officially over.

I think unless you were living under a rock, most people caught a bit of the coverage on the tele or the radio.

I, myself, really enjoyed it. I think I found myself as most Brits did-really getting into it, I think as it was in London and therefore made it feel that bit more closer to you, made you feel part of it and I ended up watching it every day when I could.

I loved the opening ceremony; the link to our past and the industrial revolution was amazing and it gave Britain a chance to show what we’ve done for the world and how we’ve evolved. I enjoyed all the music and… who knew the inventor of the internet was British?! How proud am I-without him I wouldn’t be able to right this blog right now, so thank you Mr Tim Berners-Lee.

As for the closing ceremony, if I’m honest I was a little disappointed. I don’t dispute it was very good but I think there were areas that were a little boring. I thought the presentation of the ceremony in the stadium with the union jack on the floor was remarkable.

 Beautiful!

 But things like George Michael doing a song that no-one recognized? Really?! I even preferred One Direction-and that’s saying something. But in spite of this, bringing some of the past music legends were amazing; the John Lennon face that was constructed in the stadium and the interaction that took place with the projection of Freddy Mercury blew my mind a little.

 Freddy.

Also looking at this from a fashion point of view-I did like the models appearing from their lorries and strutting their stuff even if there was a part of me that thought it was a bit pointless.                      I appreciate it was a feat in itself to get all our world famous super models in one place especially to show case British fashion at the Olympics and It was perfect to be showcasing British designers such as Alexander McQueen, Vivienne Westwood and even Victoria Beckham. I do how ever think it is a shame  the contribution that London fashion especially during the “Swinging Sixties” has giving to the world was overlooked and wasn’t brought to the fore front, though it defiantly was good to have a representation of British fashion as part of the ceremony.


Kate Moss wearing Alexander McQueen.

On a higher note; who didn’t love the Spice Girls?!! Don’t answer that as I am aware I could be in a minority. But for a group of 30 something’s that do/don’t like each other from one day to the next, I thought they did a fab representation of their past British Pop Girl power.

I loved the light up taxis (persevering London) and each taxi to their personalities. Victoria was in charge of the wardrobe which I approved of J I thought each Spice looked good, a more grown up version of their former selves-I’m a Geri fan; I did think she’s lost her sense of self a bit within the band but I did like the Union jack reference on each side of her dress.


The Spice girls in front of one the taxis.

 Geri celebrating Girl Power.

I did chuckle to myself a bit though, you could tell Victoria was the designer as when the taxi’s started moving with the girls on the back; she looked amazing with her dipped hem wafting in the wind making more of a statement. It did work though it looked good flowing behind her.

 Vicky on the top of the cab.

On the whole, I loved the show and was a bit sad when the flame got extinguished. But I think it gave the audience a good show and a chance to celebrate something in such a miserable time.

GIRL POWER!!

No comments:

Post a Comment