Wednesday 22 August 2012

A New Handmade Bag by me!


This is another of my bags I’ve made-except this one was made all on my own and the first item to be sewn on my new industrial sewing machine!

I made it a couple of weeks ago although I couldn’t put it up here as it was a gift for my sister in law but now she’s received it I thought I’d show you.

It’s a fold over clutch bag made from 100% leather which I bought from the internet and is lined with a think cotton mix. The thought behind the design was dripping blood which is why is it made from burgundy and black leather-I originally wanted to sew the design properly (right side to right side) to create a neat seam, but realized that the curves I had created where too tight to get around the machine and the leather was too thick to turn around back on each other. (leson lernt!) So I decided to then try to cut the extra tight curves out of the design but it still didn’t solve the problem so my ingenious plan was then to sew on top-which I did, I think it worked well, though I wished I hadn’t of cut the other tight curves off as it would of created more of an impact.
 
The front of the bag.
 
Bag spread out.

It fastens by a double zip on top (which with practice will be improved-and also if I buy a proper zip foot!) and is lined with purple cotton. I also managed to insert some studs into the leather at the top.
Opened up showing the purple lining and also showcasing the double zips.

I’m aware there are things that could be improved but I’m happy with it. I have since made another bag in cream and tan for a friend-I made my first inner pocket and strap complete with a scroll design though I sadly didn’t take pictures. Also I’m planning to make another bag tomorrow for my Mum as she’s dropping subtle hints about wanting a bag! So once I’ve done it I’ll take some pic’s and show you all.

No comments:

Post a Comment