Thursday 2 August 2012

My handmade bags


Sorry I haven’t posted anything recently.
This week though I have been lucky enough to take part in a bag making course with designer Claudette Joseph. It was a great class and I really enjoyed it-I was able to make a shoulder bag complete with front zip, lined inside and using D rings for the strap. It was made from quite hard leather and also patent PVC covered leather in red; which I fell in love with!
The zip pocket is situated on the front diagonally separating the tan leather and the red patent leather. I’m really lucky I got to be part of the course and I felt taking part in it has given me good experience with sewing with different fabrics.

Me and my bag!

The orange interior lining in the front pocket.

The D rings on the straps.

I have also learnt more about using industrial machines and the changes made to use other fabrics such as leather by changing the needle for a thicker more powerful needle and changing the foot to a Teflon foot so the skin won’t stretch or be pulled as it is being fed through the machine.

The other bag I made was a large clutch bag-which I used today! And I managed to fit loads in it! My purse, mobile, make up, dog’s passports and paperwork, my cardigan and a sewing machine A4 manual! (folded)
It’s made from soft yellow leather and also from thicker black leather. It’s also got a twist in design at the front inspired by the work of designer Shingo Sato which I like as it gives it a focal point. This bag is also lined and has two zip fastenings at the top of the bag-very couture!


My clutch bag with twist design on the front.

Layed out showing the purple lining.

Showing the double ziped edge.


With is, I am hoping to try and make a couple more if I am able to do so and maybe either give them as gifts or start churning out a little factory of bags! Hope everyone likes them as much I as I do!

2 comments:

  1. I would like a clutch one please! (maybe not leather tho)
    :) xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. ooo... sorry Jac yea not really your thing :) I can do a canvas bag :) xx

    ReplyDelete