Friday 8 June 2012

Couture Dress made by Toni Anne Everitt

I am now finishing my second year of my fashion and textiles degree and the last thing I have made is being handed in today.
The focus of this class has been learning new methods of Transformational Reconstruction pattern cutting! To begin with, I found it hard to get my tiny brain around, but now I think I'v conquered it and it's amazing! Most of what I have learnt wouldn't have been possible without the tutor that has been teaching the class- Claudette Joseph, who is a Couture Designer in her own right-visit her web site.
She's influenced by a japanese designer called Shingo Sato, who "invented" so-to-speak transformational reconstruction therefor it has been included into my work.
I have been taught the method of the one seam bodice; where there is only one seam from the front of the bodice to the back which takes away the shoulder and waist darts. So with this, I have made my own interpretation and added a bit of extra detail with the Pattern Magic books-which have also been a great help, although you need an encylcopedia to understand the methods!


This is my Jubilee inspired dress-made from red Dill-which is apparently similar to Twill but made from 100% cotton; which is a heavy fabric, keeping its shape, good for structuring or like this showing off seams.
The shoulders are made from Pleather :) my favorite! I like how it hardens the look of the dress. Bones have been inserted into the shoulder seams and around the armhole to keep them structured and pointed. Very Cruela De-Vil!
Then of course the look is complete with the Union Jack printed cotton mix on the back of the collar. The collar is a double collar-from the Pattern Magic books, it shouldn't totally look like this as I have sewn the back of the collar upwards when it is supposed to be sewn downward-just a little showcase that you can make things your own!
I sadly didnt wear it for the Jubilee as it was not quite finished but at least we have the Olympics this year so it can come out again!

No comments:

Post a Comment