Thursday 21 February 2013

Waltamstow Market-where to buy fabrics.


This week I had a trip up to Walthamstow Market, around the outskirts of London.

I had never previously been there and to be honest I didn’t really know what to expect. It was a day trip out and I found it a really useful place to know.

It consisted of a main street which did have a little market all the way along but it was the shops on either side of this market that was the jewel in the stone. There were quite a few fabric shops on either side full to the brim with roles of different fabric. Most of them were quite cheap but you need to know which ones to really go in as there were a couple that were selling fabric-obviously not the highest quality!-for 50p a metre! Yes, you read right; 50p a metre!
Walthamstom Market.
 
A part of me just wanted to grab everything as even if you were making toile’s or rough samples you could afford to buy it. I also found it a bit overwhelming as well as it confuses you as there is so much option.
Saeed's fabric shop.
 
I had a look at a larger fabric shop called Saeed’s-this shop is apparently not as cheap as others but it was interesting to have a look around. I did buy some organza-type fabric in a beautiful wine colour from a shop called Sai Fabrics (I’ve got a card and it’s address is 70 High Street) The wine organza cost the staggering amount of £1 per metre; so I pushed the boat out and bought 2 metres.
Looking down the other side of the street.

Another shop I bought fabric in was across the other side, called St Pierre Fabrics; 91 High Street. Which I bought a hound’s tooth print P.V.C. which I thought was the coolest thing I had ever seen! It cost £2 per metre and I got 2 metres as well-so hopefully I can do something substantial with it.
Fabrics in one of the shops.
 
There were also haberdashery shops with plenty of buttons, beads and nick knacks to buy although I had no idea what I should have bought. I think if you travel up there plan what you want to buy and what you want to use before you go as it can be like walking into a sweet shop and just want everything!
Haberdashery shops.

With my amazing tutor Claudette Joseph!

 
Another place we visited was a ware house in London. I could possibly tell you where it is as if I told you I would have to kill you! It was called Woolcrest Textiles Ltd, and was a big wear house down the back of a dinjy road.
 

It was the most amazing fabric place I have ever been! It was huge and had nearly every fabric you could have wanted. The only fabric I didn’t see much of was silk, but there was wools, p.v.c’s, pleather, jersey, linings, sequined and beaded fabrics… And the best part of this was that it was so reasonable priced!
Inside Woolcreat Textiles Ltd.
 
There were wools from £5 per metre-and I’m saying nice looking wools!                                                    I bought a snake skin P.V.C that was £3 per metre. And I also bought a beautiful sequined matt black fabric for £7.50 per metre.
Some amazing wool fabrics!
 
It was the most amazing place and a part of me doesn’t want to tell anyone about it as it is such a rare gem but I appreciate as I was lucky enough to find it and buy some fabric from there, other people should make the most of it too.

Just don’t tell anyone else!!

No comments:

Post a Comment