Friday 9 August 2013

Quadrophenia at the Mercury Theatre.


So it is now August, and I have finished my education!

My 4 year Fashion and Textile degree is over and at the end of it, I have received a 2.1! For people who are not familiar with it it’s around an 8/10 or a notable.

So during this in-between stage, I decided to investigate theatre and costume. As some of my tutors had mentioned that I have a more costume flare which I think is a fair point, I had decided to apply to help out at the local theatre here in Colchester; the Mercury Theatre.

They were advertising for young talent to help with an up and coming show at the theatre. The show was….. Quadrophenia! So if there was ever a show that I think I could help out with, I thought this was the perfect one!

For the past few weeks I have been taking part in classes every Wednesday, to learn about the behind the scenes of the shows and what is needed to pull everything together; I have genuinely really enjoyed it. There was workshop’s on Stage Management, Light, Sound, Costume and Design all of which I found I enjoyed a lot more than I thought I would.

But now it has come down to the nitty gritty and I am now taking more interest in the costume and fittings part of the show.

Last week I was lucky enough to travel down to London to visit Merc, a retail brand that specialize in Mod style clothing, and take part in a meeting with them where they have agreed to donate some of their garments towards to show. So this evening I am going to the fittings of the main cast into their Merc clothing!

I love the garments and I think they have been true to the old mod style by having the polo shirts, parker jackets, suits and shift dresses for women.

I’m really looking forward to the next couple of weeks, trying to take as much as I can in and learning about everything! The show is on from the 22 to the 24th of August, so not really very long but long enough to learn what I need to know!
 

No comments:

Post a Comment