Sunday 7 April 2013

Professional Photo Shoot of First Final Garment.


So this week was my first experience of taking part in a professional photo shoot. As part of my last year doing my Fashion and Textile course, we (the students) pay to have one professional photo of one of our final garments of our collection. This will then be used in the end of year broachers and our own individual postcards that will be also be at the end of year shows such as Graduate Fashion Week and New Designers
I look at it as the first example of your work that will be shown to the public, to showcase your abilities as a designer. So I felt very aware of what I need to do in my now final year and how I wanted it to be portrayed in the photo shoot.
My years final garments ready for the photo shoot!
 
If I’m honest my final collection is turning out to be something totally different to what I had anticipated although I am trying to go with the flow, as time is not on my side and things need to be getting done! So what was originally supposed to be my final outfit could actually be one of my first designs in the collection, as I realized I wanted to make more structural outstanding pieces.
Toile of the top half of the garment.
 
Although with all this in mind, I am still proud of the construction of the garment (even though it was longer than scheduled!) I took the time to bind all the inner seams and finish all the hems correctly and I am still very content with that.
Interior seams.
 
Me-slaving away!
 
The photo shoot went well in general, all the models were lined up in order for each student and we were lucky enough to have professional makeup artists and hairdressers on sight to get the models ready. Once the hair and makeup was done; onto getting the garment on.
My model Claudia getting her hair done by Feathers Salon Group from Colchester.
 
 
The make up company MAC were in charge of the make up on the photoshoot.
 
Pablo finishing Claudias make up.
 
I never realized how small I had ended up sewing the skirt-it was suppose to be a size 10 and was originally made form a size 10 pattern-but I must have sewn in smaller and it ended up being tiny! Also the length had been increased by about 10cm! So it was a good job the model was long and slim so it fitted her beautifully. It possibly was a little snug around the hips, but gave a lovely tight look to the tubular skirt.
Ready to take some photos.
 
Once in the studio, the photographer was really good and helped get the model into position and guided her poses. After a few minutes, he found a stunning pose twisting the top of her body and lifting her arm to behind her head; elongating her and showcasing the clothes.

Claudia posing for the photo shoot.
 
I was like a mother hen; I didn’t realize how protective and paranoid about my pieces I would be! I was constantly fluffing them-pulling the collar into place, pinning it, pulling the hem down… I know I must have been a pain to both the photographer and the model but I felt it needed it to be perfect, I had such a high expectation of how it would be.
And I would like to think it went quite successful, I think the mood and feel was what I had envisaged-creating a posh, stuck up attitude that looks very sleek and slender.

It went well until….  I had to get my British bulldog into the studio wearing her matching jacket! She was good although will all the people and the attention she was quite excited and hyper which made it difficult to place her for the photo. I admit I probably wasn’t helping as I was getting more and more stressed and uptight, but all was well in the end!
Me getting Elizabeth-my british bulldog, ready to go into the set.
 
The coat from the top.

 The photographer said he had the shot (I wasn’t sure) so we will have to wait until after the Easter holiday to see the final picture! Hopefully with the model showcasing the garment and then also the dog wearing a matching coat with matching lapel, it will have a sophisticated but slightly funny-possibly tacky, tinge to the shoot!
Claudia and I... 

No comments:

Post a Comment