Sunday 31 March 2013

First Final Outfit for Collection!


Happy Easter to everyone! Hope everyone is enjoying the holidays.

I realize that I need to take time out to keep on top of my blog. But the truth is with the last couple of weeks; I have had to get the first outfit of my collection designed and made which has taken all my time up!

After the Easter holidays there are only 6 weeks left of my 3 year degree and it feels as if this will be the most hectic and worked period! For the last two weeks I have been going to the studio everyday Monday to Friday and usually drive in for 9 o’clock in the morning and I’m not returning until 7 or 8 at night. And all this for only the first outfit…!! I dread to think how the others are going to go; working out one out per week.

So my final collection is based on Cruela Deville; mostly on half black and half white. I researched the half and half hair originally created by the English author Dodie Smith in the book 101 Dalmatians and explored it more as a theory of half light and half dark or good and half bad. I also looked at it as split personality, looking into schizophrenia which is something I feel I can relate to. So taking this and converting it onto what I would perceive Cruela and what she would wear, I also looked at people such as the heiress Daphne Guinness, who could be interpretated as a modern fashion conseience celebrity.
Cruela in the original drawings for the Dodie Smith book.
Cruela Devil in the Disney movie 101 Dalmatians.


Daphne Guinness; heir of the Guinness brewery empire.

My idea is that I would use the theory of half and half and apply it to everything; half black, half white; half structure, half drapery; half hard, half soft…etc. So as a place to start I designed what I was hoping was going to be a dress which would be made up of a top half that was half black chiffon and half structured wool. Carrying on with Cruela in mind; she always wore very structured garments, skirt suits with shoulder pads and pencil skirts. So this influenced the design and helped me to create a half a jacket on the top half of the dress. As I carried on exploring the design, it ended up becoming a skirt and top as the fabric I was using made this easier. So after 4 toile’s I decided to make the final one! I feel it has gone relatively well, I feel I need to look at the skirt again as the fabric; which is black sequins that don’t sit correctly on the waist band but all in all I feel quite pleased with the result.

Versions of the toile before the final one.
 

A beautifully sewn piece... that I then realized I had to unpick!
 
Final top; half jacket with collar and lapel with half chiffon top with 3/4 sleeve.
Side view.
 
The icing on the cake is that Wednesday there will be a photo shoot where my first outfit will be professionally shot in a studio by a professional photographer. I am really excited for this and hoping to get a couple of extra accessories done in time to also put into the shoot! As soon as their taken and ready I’ll pop it on here so everyone and have a look and tell me what you think!
A picture of a half way through an accessorie....
 

No comments:

Post a Comment